2 score 18 as San Diego beats Stanford 77-64Nov 14, 2009 - 5:25 AM SAN DIEGO(AP) -- De'Jon Jackson and Brandon Johnson scored 18 points apiece to lead San Diego to a 77-64 win over Stanford in the season opener for both teams Friday night.
San Diego held the Cardinal to just two field goals in the final seven minutes, winning its season opener for just the second time in seven seasons.
Jackson helped seal the win with two straight baskets to give the Toreros a 69-58 lead with 2:18 remaining. Johnson scored 14 of his points in the second half when San Diego shot 60 percent from the field.
Landry Fields scored a career-high 25 points for Stanford, which shot only 37.5 percent from the floor. Jeremy Green added 13 points.
San Diego won despite the Cardinal's big advantage at the free throw line. Stanford had 24 attempts to 12 for the Toreros heading into the final two minutes. Stanford finished just 17 of 26 while San Diego was 14 for 20.
- Stanford's Rosco Allen declares for NBA draft Apr 1
- Stanford coach Jerod Haase once thought he'd play for school Mar 28
- Stanford hires Jerod Haase as new men's basketball coach Mar 25
- Stanford fires coach Johnny Dawkins after 8 seasons Mar 14
- Stanford suspends point guard Christian Sanders Mar 3
- Stanford F Reid Travis to miss remainder of season Feb 23
- BYU escapes with 69-67 win over San Diego Feb 19
- Pickens helps Stanford beat Carroll College 83-38 Dec 28
- Pickens scores 20 in Stanford's 93-59 win over Buccaneers Nov 15
- Harvard, Stanford to face off in 2016 hoops opener in China Nov 13
- Stanford G Robert Cartwright to miss season Nov 4
- Cartwright out indefinitely Nov 3