N.J. Tech 58, Manhattan 70Nov 15, 2009 - 12:37 AM RIVERDALE, N.Y. (AP) -- Darryl Crawford scored 17 points and Manhattan defeated New Jersey Institute of Technology 70-58 in the season opener for both teams on Saturday.
The Jaspers trailed 12-9 early in the first half, before going on a 12-4 run in the next five minutes. Crawford capped the run on a layup with 6:26 left in the first half for a 24-13 Manhattan lead.
Manhattan held the Highlanders to just 18.5 percent from the field in the first half (5 of 27), while shooting 41.4 percent (12 of 29).
The Jaspers led by as many as 65-50 on a free throw by Antoine Pearson, who finished with 10 points, with 1:59 left to play.
Manhattan's Kevin Laue, who doesn't have a left arm below the elbow, had a rebound in three minutes.
Jheryl Wilson led the Highlanders with 20 points, and Isaiah Wilkerson finished with 17 points and 10 rebounds.
- Brian Kennedy taking over as head basketball coach at NJIT Apr 13
- Manhattan gives Masiello 4-year extension Mar 3
- Lynn's 27 points leads NJIT late surge past USF Nov 16
- Hampton tops Manhattan, advances to play Kentucky Mar 18
- Hampton and Manhattan open NCAA Tournament Mar 17
- Manhattan pulls away late, bests Iona for MAAC title Mar 9
- Manhattan takes on Iona in MAAC title tilt Mar 9
- Villanova uses second-half charge to down upset-minded NJIT Dec 24
- NJIT faces tall task in clash with No. 7 Villanova Dec 23
- NJIT stuns No. 17 Michigan Dec 6
- NJIT faces uphill climb in clash with No. 17 Michigan Dec 6
- Manhattan's Masiello can return after degree Apr 7