Elon edges Lipscomb 91-86Nov 15, 2009 - 3:50 AM NASHVILLE, Tenn.(AP) -- Josh Bonney scored 24 points and Drew Spradlin added 23 as Elon edged Lipscomb 91-86 on Saturday night in the season opener for both teams.
The Phoenix victory marked the first career win for new coach Matt Matheny.
Lipscomb jumped out to a 16-7 lead behind 13 points from Brandon Brown, but the Bisons couldn't overcome a strong shooting performance by Elon, which was 35-for-69 from the field (50.7 percent).
The Phoenix countered with an 11-0 run to lead 18-16, and the lead changed hands nine times before Elon took a 41-38 advantage into halftime.
The Phoenix pulled ahead by 12 with 15:39 left, then Lipscomb drew within four points at 63-59. After nearly 2 minutes with no scoring by either team, Terrance Birdette hit a 3-pointer for Elon.
Brown and Adnan Hodzic scored 26 points apiece to lead the Bisons, who entered the game 8-0 in home openers at Allen Arena.
- Lipscomb junior guard Williams out for season with torn ACL Dec 15
- Lipscomb beats NAIA Cumberland (Tenn.) 83-53 Dec 10
- No. 9 Texas crushes Lipscomb Dec 17
- Bison battle Longhorns in non-conference fray Dec 16
- Okafor's big night carries Duke over Elon Dec 15
- Duke gets back to work against Elon Dec 15
- Legendary basketball coach Don Meyer dies May 18
- Winter storm postpones Elon at Furman Feb 12
- UMass continues winning ways, downs Elon Jan 18
- Minutemen meet Phoenix in non-league tussle Jan 18
- Duke routs Elon Dec 31
- Elon seeks upset of No. 7 Duke Dec 31