Reserve shines as S. Illinois tops UT-Martin 91-63Nov 15, 2009 - 4:12 AM CARBONDALE, Ill.(AP) -- Carlton Fay came off the bench to score a game-high 18 points and Kevin Dillard added 14 to lead Southern Illinois to a 91-63 victory against Tennessee-Martin on Saturday night.
In 15 minutes, Fay shot 6 of 7 from the floor, made all five free-throw attempts and had five rebounds. He did much of his damage in the second half, scoring nine of his team's next 11 points after re-entering the game with 14 minutes remaining and the Salukis (1-0) up 53-32.
After Dillard, a starting guard, Southern Illinois' next-leading scorer was another reserve, Kendal Brown-Surles, who had 12 points. Starters Anthony Booker and Tony Freeman had 10 points each.
Reuben Clayton had 16 points and Benzor Simmons 14 for Tennessee-Martin (0-1), which trailed 11-2 4 1/2 minutes into the game and never got on track.
- Wichita State tops SIU in MVC QFs Mar 6
- Salukis seek upset of Shockers in MVC Tournament Mar 6
- Wichita State cruises past Southern Illinois Feb 17
- Salukis face tall task in clash with 13th-ranked Shockers Feb 17
- Northern Iowa stays hot with win over Southern Illinois Jan 28
- MVC melee pits Panthers against Salukis Jan 28
- Carter scores 25 as Wichita State beats Southern Illinois Jan 14
- Salukis face uphill climb in clash with 13th-ranked Shockers Jan 14
- Bulldogs seek to ground Skyhawks Dec 22
- Tennesse-Martin tabs Schroyer as new hoops coach Mar 21
- Tennesse-Martin hoops coach James won't return Mar 3
- Wichita State goes to 26-0 after beating Southern Illinois Feb 11