Rice holds off South Alabama 71-69Nov 15, 2009 - 4:32 AM HOUSTON(AP) -- Tamir Jackson scored 18 points - one of four Rice starters in double figures - and the Owls edged South Alabama 71-69 Saturday night in the Rice Basketball Challenge.
Connor Frizzelle had 17 points, Lawrence Ghoram finished with 14 and Lucas Kuipers added 11 for Rice (2-0).
Martino Brock led the Jaguars (1-1) with 15 points and 11 rebounds.
The Owls led 38-27 at halftime and never trailed after that, but South Alabama tied the score twice late, the latter coming with 60 seconds remaining. A layup by Brock knotted the game at 65-65 and capped a 6-0 run by the Jaguars.
Rice answered with a 5-0 run of its own which proved to be just enough to preserve the victory.
Bryan Sherrer and Allyn Cooks each added 14 points for South Alabama.
- NCAA BB
SOUTH ALABAMA 69
RICE 71 FINAL
Nov 14 10:40 PM
- NCAA BB
HALFTIME 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
SOUTH ALABAMA 27 27
RICE 38 38 HALFTIME
HIGH SCORERS AT HALFTIME
SOUTH ALABAMA - BRYAN SHERRER 9, PHILIP TABET 6, TIM
RICE - TAMIR JACKSON 11, LUCAS KUIPERS 11,
CONNOR FRIZZELLE 8
Nov 14 9:20 PM
- AP Source: Former UNLV coach Dave Rice hired at Nevada Apr 25
- Monmouth basketball coach King Rice has new 5-year contract Feb 26
- Rice resigns as UNLV's coach in middle of fifth season Jan 10
- Evans leads Rice to 67-54 win over St. Thomas (Texas) Dec 17
- No. 11 Texas gets back on track by topping Rice Dec 29
- Lone Star State showdown pits Owls against Longhorns Dec 29
- No. 17 Miami returns home to beat South Alabama Nov 28
- Miami tries to avoid upset in clash with South Alabama Nov 28
- UNLV nears two-year extension for Rice Mar 29
- Rice tabs VCU assistant Rhoades as coach Mar 26
- Rice coach Braun resigns Mar 13
- Gonzaga defeats South Alabama Dec 15