New Mexico beats UC Riverside 67-51Nov 15, 2009 - 4:18 AM ALBUQUERQUE, N.M.(AP) -- New Mexico's Roman Martinez scored a game-high 18 points Saturday to lead the Lobos to a 67-51 victory over UC Riverside in the season-opener for both teams.
The Highlanders (0-1) got 11 points from Sean Cunningham, but they shot just 32.7 percent from the field.
Junior-college transfer Darington Hobson contributed 16 points and seven rebounds in his first game with UNM (1-0) and A.J. Hardeman had 14 points and six boards in his first Lobos' start.
New Mexico took control of the game early, using a 23-6 run over eight minutes of the first quarter to break an 8-8 tie and open a lead it never gave up.
The Lobos hit all five of their 3-point attempts in the surge, from four different players. UNM finished 8-for-22 on threes to just 3-11 for Riverside.
- Correction: New Mexico-San Jose St story Jan 25
- UNM investigating purchasing activity on staffer's card Dec 22
- Lobos forward's career over because of spinal condition Nov 19
- New Mexico knocks off unbeaten CSU Jan 4
- Rams and Lobos mix it up in Mountain West melee Jan 3
- Highlanders and Aztecs mix it up in non-conference action Dec 22
- No. 25 Utah hammers UC Riverside Nov 21
- Utes seek turnaround against visiting Highlanders Nov 21
- New Mexico's Neal to receive two-year extension Mar 31
- Stanford holds off New Mexico Mar 21
- Cardinal clash with Lobos in South Regional affair Mar 21
- New Mexico clips San Diego State to win MWC title Mar 15