Fairfield rallies to beat Fordham 63-55Nov 16, 2009 - 2:47 AM FAIRFIELD, Conn.(AP) -- Freshman Derek Needham scored a career-high 19 points and Fairfield rallied to beat Fordham 63-55 on Sunday night.
Needham made 10 of 12 free throws for the Stags (2-0). Anthony Johnson added 13 points and 12 rebounds and Shimeek Johnson also posted a double-double with 13 points and 10 boards.
Fairfield shot only 29.4 percent for the game (15-for-51), but made 28 of 41 free throws. Fordham was 21-for-70 (30 percent) from the field and 8-for-12 from the free throw line.
The Rams (0-2) jumped out to a 15-5 lead, but Fairfield went on a 12-4 run and tied the game at 30 at halftime. The Stags opened the second half with a 9-2 run, keyed by two Anthony Johnson dunks.
Fordham pulled within 47-44 on a 3-pointer by Alberto Estwick with 6:37 left, but could get no closer.
Jio Fontan led the Rams with 13 points and Estwick and Fahro Alihodzic scored 12 apiece.
- NCAA BB
FAIRFIELD 63 FINAL
Nov 15 9:10 PM
- NCAA BB
FAIRFIELD 30 HALFTIME
Nov 15 7:58 PM
- Balanced Fordham defeats Fairleigh Dickinson 85-62 Nov 21
- Fordham hires EKU's Neubauer as coach Mar 30
- Pecora fired at Fordham Mar 18
- Jordan, Harrison lead St. John's past Fordham Dec 14
- Red Storm and Rams meet in MSG Holiday Festival Dec 14
- No. 4 Duke reaches triple digits in rout of Fairfield Nov 15
- No. 4 Duke gets right back to work against Fairfield Nov 15
- Williams helps UMass thump Fordham Jan 26
- Rams come calling on 13th-ranked Minutemen Jan 26
- Billikens dominate Rams Jan 18
- Billikens butt heads with Rams in A-10 action Jan 18
- Harrell lifts Louisville over Fairfield Nov 23