Florida opens season with 74-46 win over StetsonNov 15, 2009 - 11:15 PM By MARK LONG AP Sports Writer
GAINESVILLE, Fla.(AP) -- Chandler Parsons scored 14 points, Alex Tyus added 12 points and 13 rebounds, and Florida opened the season with a 74-46 victory over Stetson on Sunday.
The Gators used a 31-4 run in the first half to pull away. The only suspense came in the final minute, after Florida missed its first 12 shots from 3-point range.
Florida had made at least one 3-pointer in a school-record 579 games. The streak dated to Jan. 11, 1992. Parsons, a career 31-percent shooter from behind the arc, kept it alive with a 22-footer with 31.2 seconds remaining.
Tyshawn Patterson led the Hatters (1-1) with 19 points. A.J. Smith added 12.
The Gators held Stetson to 29 percent shooting (16-for-56) and 2 of 17 from 3-point range. They won their 19th consecutive opener, including all 14 under coach Billy Donovan.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
STETSON 17 29 46
FLORIDA 39 35 74 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: STETSON - TYSHAWN PATTERSON 19, A.J. SMITH 12,
BRANDON WILLIAMS 7
FLORIDA - VERNON MACKLIN 15, CHANDLER PARSONS 14,
KENNY BOYNTON 12
Nov 15 6:00 PM
- NCAA BB
FLORIDA 39 HALFTIME
Nov 15 4:52 PM
- Virginia Tech guard Jalen Hudson transfers to Florida May 16
- Florida guard Francis-Ramirez transferring after 2 seasons May 4
- Florida's Devin Robinson out 4-6 months after foot surgery Apr 21
- Florida guard Walker plans to transfer after graduation Mar 28
- Florida's Egbunu to have season-ending thumb surgery Mar 15
- Florida's Egbunu uncertain to play against UNF in NIT Mar 14
- Florida C Egbunu tears thumb ligament before SEC Tournament Mar 9
- Florida trying to rebuild NCAA resume at SEC Tournament Mar 7
- Stetson makes intriguing run to A-Sun final against FGCU Mar 5
- February freefall leaves Florida in need of Kentucky win Feb 29
- With road stretch looming, Florida needs to win at home Feb 8
- Florida likely without starter Justin Leon vs No. 9 WVU Jan 29