UAB holds off Samford 55-52Nov 15, 2009 - 9:34 PM KENT, Ohio(AP) -- Howard Crawford and Dexter Fields each scored 12 points and Alabama-Birmingham scored the final five points in a 55-52 victory over Samford on Sunday.
In the first men's basketball meeting between the crosstown schools in 26 years, Samford led 52-50 before Fields hit a 3-pointer with 2:27 remaining in the game.
Elijah Millsap, who scored 10 points and led UAB (2-1) with nine rebounds, hit a layup with 34 seconds left for the final margin.
Samford (0-3), who lost all three games in the Hispanic College Fund Classic by a total of eight points, missed five shots from the field in the final 2:30.
The Bulldogs took a 51-50 lead on Josh Davis' layup with 3:35 remaining in the game and Trey Montgomery, who led Samford with 17 points and seven rebounds, added a free throw with 2:53 remaining.
Bryan Friday added 13 points and Jeffrey Merritt scored 10 points for Samford.
- NCAA BB
UAB 55 FINAL
Nov 15 3:47 PM
- NCAA BB
UAB 23 HALFTIME
Nov 15 2:38 PM
- UAB gives Robert Ehsan 5-year deal worth $450,000 annually Apr 20
- UAB elevates Rob Ehsan to become men's basketball coach Apr 4
- UAB, Haase agree to new 6-year contract Mar 25
- UCLA beats UAB to reach Sweet 16 Mar 21
- Spot in Sweet 16 awaits winner of UAB vs. UCLA Mar 21
- UAB topples Iowa State for first upset of tourney Mar 19
- Cyclones start tournament in showdown with Blazers Mar 19
- UAB buries Middle Tennessee to claim C-USA crown Mar 14
- Blue Raiders, Blazers collide in C-USA title match Mar 14
- Samford coach Padgett signs 4-year extension Mar 6
- Paige, No. 20 UNC cruise to win over UAB Dec 27
- Tar Heels play host to Blazers Dec 27