Brooks scores 26 as Providence edges Mercer 79-77Nov 15, 2009 - 10:28 PM PROVIDENCE, R.I.(AP) -- Marshon Brooks scored 26 points and Jamine Peterson added 22 rebounds, the most for a Providence player since 2000, as the Friars sneaked past Mercer 79-77 on Sunday.
Brooks came out firing, scoring 14 of his team's first 18 points as Providence cruised into halftime with a 47-32 lead.
The Friars (3-0), who set a team record with just three turnovers, led 70-54 with 10:34 remaining when Mercer (2-1) used a 17-3 run to pull within three. Free throws by James Florence cut the Friars' lead to 78-77 with 1:10 remaining, but Brooks missed three foul shots to keep the game within one possession.
Mercer had the ball and the time for a shot, but E.J. Kusnyer's 3-point attempt with 7 seconds remaining hit the side of the backboard, and the Friars eked out the win along with the World Vision Invitational title.
Florence scored 23 points and Jeff Smith added 19 for Mercer.
- NCAA BB
PROVIDENCE 79 FINAL
Nov 15 4:43 PM
- NCAA BB
PROVIDENCE 47 HALFTIME
Nov 15 3:26 PM
- Cooley hopes to be at Providence 'for life' with extension Mar 30
- Providence's Bentil declares for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 23
- Friars relying on Dunn-Bentil duo vs. top-seeded Tar Heels Mar 18
- NCAA wins scarce lately for Providence, Southern Cal Mar 16
- Providence adjusting from latest bite from injury bug Feb 4
- Providence's Bentil listed as day-to-day after ankle injury Feb 4
- Providence wins 60-59 after Illinois misses flurry of shots Nov 18
- Dunn staying at Providence Apr 24
- Pierre leads Dayton past Providence Mar 21
- Dayton and Providence meet in second round of NCAA Tourney Mar 20
- Villanova edges Providence to advance to Big East final Mar 14
- Friars hope to take down Wildcats in Big East semifinals Mar 13