Morgan State rallies to defeat UMBC 72-57Nov 16, 2009 - 12:23 AM BALTIMORE(AP) -- Reggie Holmes scored 23 points and Morgan State erased an 18-point second-half deficit to defeat Maryland-Baltimore County 72-57 on Sunday.
UMBC led 42-24 with 17:15 left in the game, but the Bears (2-0), who won the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference last year and lost to Oklahoma in the first round of the NCAA tournament, outscored the Retrievers 48-15 over the final 16:49.
Morgan State took care of the deficit with a 19-0 run, which was capped when Holmes hit a layup to give the Bears a 43-42 lead with 12:13 left in the game.
Morgan State took the lead for good on Troy Smith's free throw for a 50-49 advantage with 8:42 remaining.
Troy Smith scored 11 points and Kevin Thompson added 10 points and 10 rebounds for the Bears.
Matt Spadafora led the Retrievers (0-1) with 12 points and Chauncey Gilliam added 11 points. Adrian Satchell led UMBC with 10 rebounds.
- N.C. Central downs Morgan State in MEAC title game Mar 16
- Eagles and Bears clash in MEAC title tilt Mar 15
- Oregon cruises past Morgan State Dec 29
- Morgan State faces unenviable task of taking on No. 12 Oregon Dec 29
- Smith powers Buckeyes past Morgan State Nov 9
- Bears battle Buckeyes in season opener Nov 9
- NC A&T wins MEAC Mar 16
- MEAC crown up for grabs in clash between Aggies and Bears Mar 16
- UMBC's Monroe resigns Oct 10
- Morgan State places Bozeman on leave Jan 9
- Hoosiers stay hot in rout of UMBC Dec 22
- High-flying Hoosiers entertain hapless Retrievers Dec 22