Kansas State beats Western Illinois 82-50Nov 15, 2009 - 11:28 PM MANHATTAN, Kan.(AP) -- Jamar Samuels scored 19 points and Kansas State defeated Western Illinois 82-50 on Sunday.
Denis Clemente added 13 points for the Wildcats (2-0).
The Leathernecks (0-2) were led by Matt Lander with a game-high 20 points.
An early 7-0 run by Western Illinois gave the Leathernecks a slim 10-7 lead, but a layup by Kansas State's Wally Judge sparked a 14-2 run that put the Wildcats on top for good. Kansas State held the Leathernecks to just four points in the final seven minutes of the first half en route to a 31-20 halftime lead.
The Wildcats closed the door early in the second half, opening the period on an 11-2 run to put the game out of reach for Western Illinois. Kansas State's defense remained solid, holding the Leathernecks to just three field goals after a 2-point bucket by David Gebru with 13:07 remaining in the contest.
- Kansas State freshman Freeman transferring to Florida juco Apr 12
- New-look Wildcats have same lofty expectations this season Oct 28
- Kansas State at a glance Oct 28
- K-State's Foster dismissed from basketball program Mar 24
- Iwundu, Kansas State upset No. 12 Iowa State Mar 1
- Wildcats play host to 12th-ranked Cyclones Feb 28
- K-State AD offers apology after court storming Feb 24
- K-State topples No. 8 Kansas Feb 24
- Sunflower State showdown pits Jayhawks against Wildcats Feb 23
- Baylor pulls away from Kansas State Feb 21
- Kansas State comes calling on No. 20 Baylor Feb 21
- K-State tops OU to snap 5-game losing skid Feb 15