Navy holds on to defeat Longwood 79-76Nov 15, 2009 - 11:53 PM FARMVILLE, Va.(AP) -- O.J. Avworo and Romeo Garcia scored 16 points each and Navy defeated Longwood 79-76 on Sunday.
Jordan Sugars and Chris Harris added 14 and 13 points for the Midshipmen.
Navy (1-1) shot 50 percent (13 of 26) in the first half, including 5 of 10 from the 3-point line to build a 40-37 halftime lead.
A layup by Sugars with 11:43 left in the game gave the Midshipmen their largest lead at 56-43.
The Midshipmen withstood a late run by the Lancers (0-2) with the help of two offensive rebounds.
Trailing 76-67 with 53 seconds to play, Longwood went on a 7-1 run to pull within three on Dana Smith's layup with 11 seconds remaining.
Smith led four Lancers in double figures, scoring 22 points and grabbing 11 rebounds. Aaron Mitchell added 16 points, Antwan Carter scored 12 and Kevin Swecker chipped in with 11 for Longwood.
- Michigan State avoids upset in Annapolis Nov 15
- No. 18 Michigan State opens campaign at Navy Nov 14
- Gillian resigns as Longwood men's hoops coach Mar 14
- Porter, Georgetown rout Longwood Dec 10
- Georgetown plays host to Longwood Dec 10
- No. 14 Creighton soars past Longwood Nov 21
- Longwood faces long odds in clash with No. 14 Creighton Nov 20
- No. 10 Missouri cruises past Navy Dec 10
- 10th-ranked Tigers set sights on Midshipmen in Columbia Dec 10
- American U advances to semis; beats Navy 62-60 Mar 3
- Simpson scores 22 as Hampton beats Longwood 95-81 Mar 1
- Jonson, Roemer lead Colgate past Navy 85-73 Feb 27