Virginia Tech opens with 69-55 win over BrownNov 15, 2009 - 11:16 PM BLACKSBURG, Va.(AP) -- Malcolm Delaney scored 21 points and Jeff Allen added 17 as Virginia Tech opened the season with a 69-55 victory over Brown on Sunday.
The Hokies are 7-0 in season openers under coach Seth Greenberg.
Virginia Tech, which never trailed in the opening game of the Philly Hoop Group Classic, broke open a close contest late in the first half with a 16-5 run. The Hokies took a 34-19 lead on a free throw by Victor Davila with 1:08 remaining.
Five different players scored in the run, with Davila leading the way with seven of the 16 points.
The Bears (1-1) cut the lead to five points on two occasions in the second half, but got no closer.
Andrew McCarthy led Brown with 14 points and Matt Mullery added 13.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
BROWN 23 32 55
VIRGINIA TECH 34 35 69 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: BROWN - ANDREW MCCARTHY 14, MATT MULLERY 13,
MATT SULLIVAN 11
VIRGINIA TECH - MALCOLM DELANEY 21, JEFF ALLEN 15, THREE
PLAYERS WITH 8
Nov 15 6:00 PM
- NCAA BB
VIRGINIA TECH 34 HALFTIME
Nov 15 4:51 PM
- Cal freshman star Jaylen Brown to declare for NBA draft Apr 21
- Virginia Tech grants sophomore guard Jalen Hudson release Apr 6
- No. 2 North Carolina's game at Virginia Tech moved to 3 p.m. Jan 23
- Hall of Fame coach Larry Brown back for No. 10 SMU Jan 11
- Larry Brown not on No. 15 SMU bench after halftime Jan 10
- SMU's Brown set for return after 9-game NCAA suspension Dec 21
- SMU opener marks start of Larry Brown's NCAA suspension Nov 12
- Auburn freshman guard Bryce Brown suspended for opener Nov 12
- Cal freshmen stars Brown, Rabb focused on school first Oct 29
- Virginia Tech Hokies deeper in Buzz Williams 2nd season Oct 26
- Virginia Tech Preview Capsule Oct 26
- Top recruit Jaylen Brown picks Cal May 1