George Washington 76, N.C.-Wilmington 71Nov 16, 2009 - 1:19 AM WILMINGTON, N.C. (AP) -- Aaron Ware scored 16 points and George Washington rallied for a season-opening 76-71 win over UNC-Wilmington on Sunday.
The game was a rematch of the Colonials' 88-85 overtime victory in the first round of the 2006 NCAA Tournament.
George Washington, which won its fifth straight season opener, trailed by as many as 13 points in the first half and 11 in the second. Trailing 49-38, the Colonials went on an 11-2 run to make the game close. Tied at 62, George Washington used a 12-1 spurt to pull away.
The Colonials made only 20 of 44 free throws.
The teams committed a combined 60 fouls, 32 by the Seahawks. Damian Hollis, the Colonials' co-scoring leader last year (13.4 points per game), sat out most of the game with foul trouble and finished with eight points.
Montez Downey led the Seahawks (0-2) with 15 points and Keith Rendleman had 11 points and 16 rebounds.
- It's David vs. Goliath when UNC Wilmington meets Duke Mar 17
- Cavanaugh scores 18; No. 21 GW beats St Peter's 87 Dec 19
- VCU gets back on track at George Washington Feb 15
- Colonials tangle with 20th-ranked Rams Feb 14
- VCU keeps rolling with rout of George Washington Jan 27
- Colonials come calling on 14th-ranked Rams Jan 27
- GW upends No. 11 Wichita State Dec 25
- Shockers clash with Colonials for Diamond Head Classic crown Dec 25
- Louisville holds off UNCW Dec 14
- Fourth-ranked Cardinals set sights on Seahawks Dec 14
- No. 9 UVA cruises past GW Nov 22
- Colonials seek upset of ninth-ranked Cavaliers Nov 21