Montana edges Loyola Marymount, 64-63Nov 16, 2009 - 12:38 AM MISSOULA, Mont.(AP) -- Anthony Johnson scored 22 points and Montana escaped with a 64-63 victory over Loyola Marymount in the final game of the Grizzly Tournament Sunday.
Johnson, named the tournament MVP, hit a pair of free throws with 9 seconds remaining to give the Grizzlies a 64-60 lead. Drew Viney responded by drilling a 3-pointer from the top of the key with 7 seconds left to pull the Lions within 64-63.
Montana turned the ball over on the ensuing possession, giving Loyola one last chance. Instead they got three.
Vernon Teel missed on a left-handed scoop shot, Edgar Garibays putback rolled off the rim and Larry Davis missed his follow, giving the Grizzlies a 3-0 start to the season.
Brian Qvale added 16 points for Montana.
Viney led the Lions (1-2) with 22 points. Davis added 19 points and 11 rebounds.
- NCAA BB
LOYOLA MARYMNT 63
MONTANA 64 FINAL
Nov 15 7:11 PM
- NCAA BB
LOYOLA MARYMNT 27
MONTANA 28 HALFTIME
Nov 15 6:04 PM
- Harvey, Eastern Washington rally past Montana for Big Sky crown Mar 14
- Grizzlies, Eagles engage in Big Sky title bout Mar 14
- No. 3 Gonzaga blows past Loyola Marymount Feb 13
- Lions face tall task in clash with third-ranked Bulldogs Feb 12
- Balanced Zags beat LMU Jan 18
- First vs. worst in the WCC, as Zags visit Lions Jan 17
- Wichita State has no problem with Loyola Marymount Dec 23
- Lions and Shockers meet in Diamond Head Classic Dec 22
- Montana tabs DeCuire to replace Tinkle May 31
- Dunlap returns to Loyola Marymount Mar 13
- Loyola Marymount, Good part ways Mar 12
- Two LMU players out indefinitely following car crash Oct 25