Iowa State beats Chicago State 72-50Nov 16, 2009 - 2:11 AM AMES, Iowa(AP) -- Marquis Gilstrap grabbed 15 rebounds and scored all 11 of his points in the second half in helping Iowa State roll to its second straight easy victory, 72-50 over Chicago State on Sunday night.
Scott Christopherson added 12 points for the Cyclones (2-0), while Jamie Vanderbeken went 3 for 3 from 3-point range and scored 11. Craig Brackins, ISU's leading scorer last season, contributed seven points and eight rebounds, but shot just 2 for 12.
Iowa State was sloppy at times on the offensive end but played solid defense throughout, holding Chicago State (1-1) to 28.6 percent shooting and forcing 20 turnovers, 14 in the first half. The Cyclones also blocked 10 shots and came up with seven steals.
Chris Wall led Chicago State with 19 points.
- Malou heading to NBA draft without playing for Iowa St May 11
- Iowa State signs pair of transfer big men May 9
- Iowa State guard Naz Mitrou-Long granted hardship waiver Apr 29
- Iowa State recruit Malou to explore professional options Apr 25
- Ex-Iowa State athlete sues school over response to rape case Apr 13
- Iowa State signs prep forward Cameron Lard Apr 13
- Iowa St point guard Monte Morris to return for senior season Apr 8
- Cyclones' season starts with Final 4 hopes, ends in Sweet 16 Mar 26
- Iowa State struggles early, falls to Virginia 84-71 Mar 26
- Styles clash in Sweet 16 match between Virginia, Iowa State Mar 24
- Iowa State coach Prohm helps Cyclones reach Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Iowa State's Niang honed his craft guarding Nerlens Noel Mar 18