Hawaii holds off McNeese State 73-65Nov 16, 2009 - 5:28 AM HONOLULU(AP) -- Dwain Williams scored 16 of his game-high 20 points in the first half to lift Hawaii to a 73-65 win over McNeese State on Sunday night in the Rainbow Classic.
Williams shot 7 of 16 from the field and made 4 of 12 3-pointers.
Hawaii (2-0) shot 46.8 percent (22 of 47) for the game and 73.3 percent (22 of 30) from the free-throw line. McNeese State (0-2) did not attempt a free throw.
The Rainbow Warriors led 37-30 at the break after shooting 54 percent in the first half. The Cowboys rallied to within 66-65 with 2:34 to play, but Hawaii's Roderick Flemings made back-to-back baskets to give his team a five-point lead with 1:24 left.
Flemings finished with 14 points and 10 rebounds. Jeremy Lay had 11 points and Petras Balocka added 10 for Hawaii.
Diego Kapelan led McNeese State with 14 points.
- Hawaii guard Aaron Valdes to turn professional Apr 7
- No. 13 seed Hawaii to play 4th-seeded Maryland Mar 19
- California tries to set aside distractions facing Hawaii Mar 17
- U of Hawaii appeals NCAA men's basketball postseason ban Jan 6
- NCAA puts University of Hawaii men's basketball on probation Dec 22
- UC Irvine tops Hawaii to win Big West Mar 15
- Hawaii and Anteaters battle for Big West title Mar 14
- WSU outlasts Hawaii in OT to reach Diamond Head Classic finals Dec 23
- Shockers and Rainbow Warriors meet in Diamond Head Classic Dec 23
- Hawaii names Benjy Taylor men's basketball coach Oct 31
- Hawaii fires men's hoops coach Arnold Oct 28
- Hawaii rallies past Nebraska-Omaha Jan 4