South Carolina defeats Georgia Southern 90-66Nov 17, 2009 - 3:05 AM COLUMBIA, S.C.(AP) -- Dominique Archie scored 18 points and South Carolina pulled away for a 90-66 victory over Georgia Southern on Monday night.
Devan Downey added 14 points, Brandis Raley-Ross scored 13 and Mike Holmes added 12 for the Gamecocks (2-0).
South Carolina took control with 21 unanswered points against the Eagles (1-1), who were picked to finish sixth in the Southern Division of the Southern Conference.
Georgia Southern had a seven-point lead in the first half, but South Carolina scored the final five points of the first half to take a 43-36 lead at the break.
Holmes scored the first two field goals of the second half to start a 16-0 run that lasted the opening 5:12. Archie connected on a 3-pointer and Lakeem Jackson scored five straight before Holmes finished the run with four straight points.
Ben Drayton scored 15 and Willie Powers scored 14 to pace the Eagles.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
GEORGIA SOUTHERN 36 30 66
SOUTH CAROLINA 43 47 90 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: GEORGIA SOUTHERN - BEN DRAYTON III 15, WILLIE POWERS 14,
ANTONIO HANSON 12
SOUTH CAROLINA - DOMINIQUE ARCHIE 18, DEVAN DOWNEY 14,
BRANDIS RALEY-ROSS 13
Nov 16 9:17 PM
- NCAA BB
GA SOUTHERN 36
SOUTH CAROLINA 43 HALFTIME
Nov 16 8:02 PM
- South Carolina forward Raymond Doby leaving the program May 18
- South Carolina dismisses suspended players Gregory, Cobb Apr 4
- Gamecocks give men's coach Frank Martin 4-year extension Apr 1
- South Carolina got told it was in - except, it wasn't Mar 31
- Offseason questions loom for Frank Martin, South Carolina Mar 23
- 2 South Carolina players arrested over BB gun shooting Mar 17
- 5 South Carolina players suspended before NIT game Mar 15
- South Carolina moving on from NCAA snub Mar 14
- South Carolina looking to take next step at SEC Tournament Mar 8
- Big Week: South Carolina could move to top of SEC standings Feb 9
- No. 25 South Carolina looks for win at No. 8 Texas A&M Feb 5
- South Carolina looks to rebound at home after tough stretch Jan 25