Charlotte beats Elon 75-61 in NIT Season Tip-OffNov 17, 2009 - 4:26 AM DURHAM, N.C.(AP) -- Shamari Spears scored 16 of his 23 points in the second half and Charlotte beat Elon 75-61 on Monday night in the first round of the NIT Season Tip-Off.
Rashad Coleman added 11 points and Dijuan Harris had 10 for the 49ers (2-0). They shot 41 percent in advancing to a second-round matchup against No. 9 Duke on Tuesday night.
Josh Bonney scored 15 points and Adam Constantine added 11 for the Phoenix (1-1). They will face Coastal Carolina in a consolation game.
Charlotte only briefly trailed and gave itself plenty of breathing room with a 25-10 run that bridged halftime. Dijuan Harris' dunk with 6 1/2 minutes before the break made it 20-14 and started the game-breaking spurt.
Derrio Green ended the run with a steal and layup that made it 43-24 with 18 minutes remaining, and the 49ers' lead stayed in double figures the rest of the way.
- CIAA will stay in North Carolina despite state's LGBT law Apr 29
- Price experiencing growing pains in 1st year with Charlotte Dec 24
- Mark Price named Charlotte 49ers coach Mar 26
- Reports: Price to be named Charlotte 49ers coach Mar 25
- Major won't return as Charlotte coach Mar 15
- Okafor's big night carries Duke over Elon Dec 15
- Duke gets back to work against Elon Dec 15
- Hurricanes hit 14 3s, hold off Charlotte Nov 26
- Charlotte and Miami do it again Nov 25
- Winter storm postpones Elon at Furman Feb 12
- UMass continues winning ways, downs Elon Jan 18
- Minutemen meet Phoenix in non-league tussle Jan 18