Pacific hangs on to defeat San Diego, 56-55Nov 17, 2009 - 6:05 AM STOCKTON, Calif.(AP) -- Sam Willard had 17 points and eight rebounds to lead Pacific to a 56-55 victory over San Diego on Monday night at Spanos Center.
Lavar Neufville was fouled with 6 seconds remaining and made his second free throw to provide the winning point for the Tigers (2-0).
San Diego (1-1) had rallied from a 10-point deficit to tie it with 9 seconds left. Matt Dorr's 3-point attempt bounced off the rim at the buzzer.
Joe Ford had eight points and six rebounds for Pacific, twice scoring on follow shots as the Tigers began the second half with a 15-6 run to build their biggest lead at 37-27.
De'Jon Jackson led San Diego with 16 points and eight rebounds. Patrick McCollum had 12 points for the Toreros and Brandon Johnson scored 10.
- NCAA BB
SAN DIEGO 55
PACIFIC 56 FINAL
Nov 17 12:16 AM
- NCAA BB
SAN DIEGO 21
PACIFIC 22 HALFTIME
Nov 16 10:51 PM
- Pacific hires Damon Stoudamire as new basketball coach Mar 16
- Suspended Pacific coach Ron Verlin leaves school Mar 3
- BYU escapes with 69-67 win over San Diego Feb 19
- San Diego hires Lamont Smith as coach Mar 31
- San Diego fires men's hoops coach Grier Mar 16
- Gonzaga pulls away from San Diego Feb 27
- Toreros face tall task in clash with third-ranked Zags Feb 26
- Wiltjer's career-high 45 points guides Gonzaga past Pacific Feb 20
- No. 3 Gonzaga sets sights on WCC crown Feb 19
- Gonzaga routs Pacific Jan 24
- Tigers face uphill climb in clash with third-ranked Zags Jan 24
- No. 7 Gonzaga holds off San Diego Dec 30