Benn heats up as Niagara beats Drexel 76-69Nov 17, 2009 - 3:35 PM By JOHN WAWROW AP Sports Writer
LEWISTON, N.Y.(AP) -- Once the frost burned off the grass, Bilal Benn heated up to score 10 of his 19 points in the second half in Niagara's 76-69 win over Drexel in a game that started at 8 a.m.
Benn finished with 14 rebounds as the Purple Eagles (1-1) hung on Tuesday after nearly blowing a 10-point lead over the final 4 minutes. Rob Garrison scored 20 points and sealed the win by hitting six free throws in the final 58 seconds.
Gerald Colds led Drexel (0-2) with 18 points and nearly rallied the Dragons. He hit two 3-point baskets in the final 78 seconds, including one with 24 seconds left to cut Niagara's lead to 72-69.
The Dragons had a chance to tie the game, but Derrick Thomas missed a 3-point shot, and teammate Samme Givens secured the rebound but stepped on the end line.
- NCAA BB
NIAGARA 76 FINAL
Nov 17 10:21 AM
- NCAA BB
NIAGARA 42 HALFTIME
Nov 17 9:03 AM
- Drexel hires Army's Zach Spiker as basketball coach. Mar 25
- Drexel fires coach Bruiser Flint after 15 seasons Mar 7
- Niagara edges Marist 69-66 Jan 28
- Lee transfers to Louisville Apr 23
- Drexel can't hold early lead, falls to No. 4 Arizona Nov 27
- Wildcats set sights on Dragons in NIT Season Tip-Off Nov 27
- UCLA wins opener over Drexel Nov 9
- Alford era begins, as Bruins battle Dragons Nov 8
- Niagara names Casey new men's hoops coach Apr 22
- Cooley, No. 22 Notre Dame cruise past Niagara Dec 22
- Notre Dame puts perfect home mark on line against Niagara Dec 21
- In like Flint: Drexel extends contract of men's basketball coach Mar 26