Holy Cross 67, Saint Joseph's 69Nov 18, 2009 - 3:54 AM PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Carl Jones scored 18 points and hit two key free throws to lift Saint Joseph's to a 69-67 win over Holy Cross on Tuesday night.
Jones hit a jumper to give the Hawks (2-0) a 65-63 lead with 1:57 left, but Holy Cross' Andrew Beinert connected on a jumper at 1:43 to tie the score at 65.
Jones made four straight free throws and the Hawks led 69-65 with 15 seconds left.
Holy Cross' R.J. Evans missed a 3-pointer with 7 seconds on the clock, then teammate Adam May rebounded and missed a 3-pointer. Devin Brown rebounded for a putback with a second left and missed a free throw for the final margin.
Todd O'Brien registered his first career double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds for Saint Joseph's, which led 37-31 at halftime.
Brown led Holy Cross with 17 points while Evans had 16.
The Crusaders dominated the boards, outrebounding the Hawks 50-33.
- NCAA BB
HOLY CROSS 67
SAINT JOSEPHS 69 FINAL
Nov 17 9:05 PM
- NCAA BB
HOLY CROSS 31
SAINT JOSEPHS 37 HALFTIME
Nov 17 7:57 PM
- Versatility a key as top-seed Oregon faces St. Joseph's Mar 19
- Saint Joseph's and Cincinnati to play in 1st round of NCAAs Mar 17
- Tyler Dorsey a catalyst to Oregon's surge for No. 1 seed Mar 17
- Unlikely qualifier Holy Cross plays Southern in First Four Mar 15
- Saint Joseph's flying high as Atlantic 10 contenders Feb 19
- Saint Joseph's rolls to 75-60 win over Penn Jan 20
- Holy Carmody! Crusaders name their coach Mar 19
- Holy Cross fires Brown after 5 seasons Mar 6
- Sharp shooting leads VCU past Saint Joseph's Jan 11
- Hawks seek upset of 20th-ranked Rams Jan 10
- No. 10 Villanova rolls past Saint Joseph's Dec 6
- Bitter rivals clash, as Hawks visit Wildcats Dec 6