Virginia Tech beats UNC-Greensboro 59-46Nov 18, 2009 - 2:22 AM BLACKSBURG, Va.(AP) -- Jeff Allen recorded a double-double and Virginia Tech broke open a tie game with an 11-0 run midway through the second half en route to a 59-46 victory over UNC-Greensboro on Tuesday night.
UNC-Greensboro tied the game at 38 on a basket by Kyle Randall with 10:48 remaining. But Allen and Malcolm Delaney sparked Virginia Tech's 11-0 run, with Delaney scoring seven of those points.
Delaney's 3-pointer with 6:39 left gave the Hokies a 49-38 lead and the Spartans got no closer than nine points the rest of the way.
Allen finished with 14 points and 10 rebounds for his 20th career double-double. Delaney added 17 points for Virginia Tech (2-0) despite going just 6-for-16 from the floor. The Hokies shot just 37.5 percent.
Randall and Mikko Koivisto paced the Spartans (0-2) with 10 points each. UNC-Greensboro shot 35.3 from the field and turned the ball over 23 times.
- NCAA BB
UNC GREENSBORO 46
VIRGINIA TECH 59 FINAL
Nov 17 8:58 PM
- NCAA BB
HALFTIME 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
NORTH CAROLINA GREEN 26 26
VIRGINIA TECH 26 26 HALFTIME
HIGH SCORERS AT HALFTIME
NORTH CAROLINA GREENSBORO - MIKKO KOIVISTO 10, KYLE RANDALL 6, FIVE
PLAYERS WITH 2
VIRGINIA TECH - JEFF ALLEN 8, TERRELL BELL 6,
MALCOLM DELANEY 6
Nov 17 7:48 PM
- Virginia Tech grants sophomore guard Jalen Hudson release Apr 6
- No. 2 North Carolina's game at Virginia Tech moved to 3 p.m. Jan 23
- Virginia Tech Hokies deeper in Buzz Williams 2nd season Oct 26
- Virginia Tech Preview Capsule Oct 26
- Hokies leading scorer Smith to transfer Mar 26
- Brogdon, Virginia top Va Tech Feb 28
- Hokies and Cavaliers meet in Old Dominion State showdown Feb 28
- Duke survives Virginia Tech in OT Feb 26
- No. 4 Duke take on Virginia Tech in ACC tilt Feb 25
- No. 2 Virginia rallies past Virginia Tech Jan 25
- Rivals meet in ACC affair Jan 25
- Notre Dame crushes overmatched Virginia Tech Jan 23