Hayward leads Marquette to victory, 86-60Nov 18, 2009 - 3:22 AM MILWAUKEE(AP) -- Lazar Hayward scored a collegiate-high 28 points to lead Marquette to an 86-60 victory over Maryland-Eastern Shore on Tuesday night.
Hayward was 12 of 20 from the floor to go with eight rebounds, two assists and two steals. Jimmy Butler added 13 points and seven rebounds for Marquette (2-0), which never trailed in extending its nonconference home winning streak to 22 games.
Hillary Haley led the Hawks (0-2) with 22 points on 8-of-16 shooting.
The night belonged to Hayward, however. The senior, who scored just nine points in the Golden Eagles' 85-62 victory over Centenary on Friday, finished with 18 points in the second half. Marquette enjoyed a double-digit lead for most of the second half.
Hayward's previous high game was 27 points last Dec. 19 against Western Carolina.
- Marquette guard Wally Ellenson leaving basketball team Apr 21
- Marquette freshman Henry Ellenson declares for NBA draft Apr 5
- Marquette's Ellenson day to day with sprained left ankle Mar 2
- Marquette, freshman star Henry Ellenson, wrap up at home Feb 29
- Led by freshman Ellenson, young Marquette seeks Feb. push Feb 10
- Snow sacks Marquette-St. John's basketball game Jan 23
- After road upset, young Marquette looks to improve at home Jan 8
- Wojciechowski gets 2-year extension at Marquette to 2022 Dec 29
- Fresh faces get in on Marquette-Wisconsin rivalry Dec 11
- Wojo readies Ellenson, touted Marquette freshmen for opener Nov 11
- Oh Henry: Ellenson highlights Marquette's big freshman class Nov 3
- Talented freshmen infused into preseason mix at Marquette Oct 12