Iowa State thumps Drake 90-70Nov 18, 2009 - 3:06 AM By LUKE MEREDITH AP Sports Writer
DES MOINES, Iowa(AP) -- Lucca Staiger scored a career-high 32 points on 10-of-16 shooting from 3-point range and Iowa State defeated Drake 90-70 Tuesday night to snap a three-game losing streak to the Bulldogs.
Craig Brackins added 22 points and 10 rebounds for the visiting Cyclones (3-0), who jumped out to a 19-point halftime lead and lead by double digits the rest of the way.
Freshman Ben Simons had 24 points for Drake (0-2) and Ryan Wedel added 13. Bulldogs star Josh Young, who missed the opener with a hip injury, scored 11 points.
The Cyclones suffered their worst loss ever to Drake, 79-44, on their last trip to Des Moines. This time, Iowa State dominated its in-state rivals from the opening tip.
The Cyclones outrebounded the Bulldogs 39-21 and shot 56.3 percent from 3-point range.
- Malou heading to NBA draft without playing for Iowa St May 11
- Iowa State signs pair of transfer big men May 9
- Iowa State guard Naz Mitrou-Long granted hardship waiver Apr 29
- Iowa State recruit Malou to explore professional options Apr 25
- Ex-Iowa State athlete sues school over response to rape case Apr 13
- Iowa State signs prep forward Cameron Lard Apr 13
- Iowa St point guard Monte Morris to return for senior season Apr 8
- Cyclones' season starts with Final 4 hopes, ends in Sweet 16 Mar 26
- Iowa State struggles early, falls to Virginia 84-71 Mar 26
- Styles clash in Sweet 16 match between Virginia, Iowa State Mar 24
- Iowa State coach Prohm helps Cyclones reach Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Iowa State's Niang honed his craft guarding Nerlens Noel Mar 18