UAB knocks off Jacksonville State 87-62Nov 18, 2009 - 4:30 AM JACKSONVILLE, Ala.(AP) -- Elijah Millsap scored 18 points and had 11 rebounds to lead five Blazers in double figures as Alabama-Birmingham defeated Jacksonville State 87-62 on Tuesday night.
Aaron Johnson added 17 points, Jamarr Sanders scored 11 and George Drake and Kenneth Cooper had 10 points each as the Blazers (3-1) outscored the Gamecocks 50-25 in the second half to break open a halftime tie.
UAB gradually built its lead, going ahead 52-44 on Johnson's layup with 15:35 remaining in the game.
Dexter Fields hit a 3-pointer for a 62-51 lead with 10:46 left and Sanders' 3-pointer with 7:23 remaining gave UAB a 72-56 advantage.
The Blazers were 18-for-29 from the field (62.1 percent) in the second half, going 5 of 7 from the 3-point line (71.4 percent).
Stephen Hall led Jacksonville State with 14 points and 15 rebounds. Trenton Marshall scored 14, Jeremy Bynum had 12 and Jay-R Strowbridge added 11 points.
- UAB gives Robert Ehsan 5-year deal worth $450,000 annually Apr 20
- UAB elevates Rob Ehsan to become men's basketball coach Apr 4
- Jacksonville State's James Green out as basketball coach Mar 16
- UAB, Haase agree to new 6-year contract Mar 25
- UCLA beats UAB to reach Sweet 16 Mar 21
- Spot in Sweet 16 awaits winner of UAB vs. UCLA Mar 21
- UAB topples Iowa State for first upset of tourney Mar 19
- Cyclones start tournament in showdown with Blazers Mar 19
- UAB buries Middle Tennessee to claim C-USA crown Mar 14
- Blue Raiders, Blazers collide in C-USA title match Mar 14
- Paige, No. 20 UNC cruise to win over UAB Dec 27
- Tar Heels play host to Blazers Dec 27