Brigham Young defeats Idaho State 87-53Nov 18, 2009 - 5:15 AM PROVO, Utah(AP) -- Brigham Young's Jimmer Fredette and Jackson Emery scored 22 and 19 points, respectively, to lead the Cougars past Idaho State 87-53 Tuesday night.
The Cougars (2-0) used a 15-0 run over a six minute stretch near the end of the first half to turn a 28-21 lead into a 43-21 advantage.
Amorrow Morgan led Idaho State (0-3) with 13 points, followed by Deividas Busma with 11. Broderick Gilchrest was held to only three free throws after averaging 20 points in the Bengals' first two games.
Idaho State cut the lead to 56-42 with 11:06 remaining in the game, but back-to-back 3-pointers by Emery followed by an old-fashioned 3-point play by Fredette and a Jonathan Tavernari basket pushed the lead to 67-42 with just over 8:00 remaining in the game.
The Cougars' largest lead was 35 on a Charles Abouo basket with 16 seconds remaining.
- BYU freshman phenom Emery having record-setting season Feb 26
- BYU escapes with 69-67 win over San Diego Feb 19
- Utah coach says 'toxic' atmosphere halted BYU series Jan 11
- Utah cancels basketball game against BYU next season Jan 6
- BYU guard Nick Emery suspended 1 game for punching opponent Dec 3
- BYU's Kyle Collinsworth relishes Mr. Triple-Double title Dec 3
- No. 17 Oklahoma women rebound to defeat BYU 73-47 Nov 19
- Ole Miss surges back to beat BYU in Dayton Mar 18
- BYU and Ole Miss meet in NCAA Tournament's first round Mar 17
- No. 7 Gonzaga beats BYU to win 14th WCC title Mar 11
- Bulldogs and Cougars collide in WCC title game Mar 10
- BYU ends No. 3 Gonzaga's 41-game home win streak Mar 1