USC defeats UC Riverside 77-67 in O'Neill's debutNov 18, 2009 - 6:01 AM By BETH HARRIS AP Sports Writer
LOS ANGELES(AP) -- Dwight Lewis led four players in double figures with 22 points and Southern California made Kevin O'Neill a winner in his return to the college coaching ranks with a 77-67 victory over UC Riverside on Tuesday night.
Lewis quickly settled into his new role as the Trojans' senior leader after three seasons watching other teammates carry the load by scoring their first seven points.
Marcus Simmons and Nikola Vucevic added 18 points each and Donte Smith 12 while taking over at point guard from the departed Daniel Hackett.
Konner Veteto scored 14 points and Gonzaga transfer Larry Gurganious added 13 for the Highlanders (0-2), who have never beaten USC in four meetings. They failed to duplicate the feat of Big West rival Cal State Fullerton, which stunned UCLA in double overtime a night earlier.
- Southern California extends coach Andy Enfield's contract Mar 28
- NCAA wins scarce lately for Providence, Southern Cal Mar 16
- USC chosen for first NCAA Tournament since 2011 Mar 13
- Power outage briefly cuts lights at Oregon-USC game Mar 5
- Southern California looks to improved talent to find way up Oct 28
- Southern California Preview Capsule Oct 28
- No. 7 Arizona eases past USC Feb 20
- Pac-12 tilt pits Wildcats against Trojans Feb 19
- No. 11 Utah routs USC Feb 2
- Utes seek redemption in Pac-12 clash with Trojans Feb 1
- Utah routs USC in Pac-12 opener Jan 3
- Trojans challenge 10th-ranked Utes in Pac-12 opener Jan 2