W. Michigan defeats Virginia Commonwealth 83-67Nov 19, 2009 - 2:50 AM KALAMAZOO, Mich.(AP) -- Martelle McLemore had a game-high 22 points and David Kool had 17 as Western Michigan rallied to beat Virginia Commonwealth 83-67 Wednesday night.
McLemore and Kool each added nine rebounds to contribute to the Broncos' 52-37 rebound advantage. Donald Lawson had 13 points and 11 rebounds for Western Michigan (1-1).
Bradford Burgess led Virginia Commonwealth (1-1) with 16 points. Brandon Rozell had 12 points and Jay Gavin added 10 for the Rams.
Virginia Commonwealth led 42-35 at halftime but struggled to score in the second half. The Broncos took the lead during an 11-0 run midway through the period.
Western Michigan outshot the Virginia Commonwealth 46.6 percent (27 of 58) to 30.7 percent (23 of 75).
VA COMMONWEALTH 67
WESTRN MICHIGAN 83 FINAL
Nov 18 9:15 PM
- NCAA BB
VA COMMONWEALTH 42
WESTRN MICHIGAN 35 HALFTIME
Nov 18 8:03 PM
- Things looking more normal for Wade in Year 2 at VCU May 13
- VCU announces sophomore F Michael Gilmore is transferring May 3
- VCU restructures, extends contract of men's hoops coach Wade Mar 29
- Oklahoma faces another dangerous double-digit seed in VCU Mar 19
- Payton II following in father's NCAA footsteps at Oregon St Mar 17
- VCU hoping to find winning formula again in NCAA Tournament Mar 16
- VCU seeking another shot at A10 Tournament championship Mar 9
- JeQuan Lewis' growth at PG a key to VCU's winning streak Feb 5
- VCU coach Will Wade says surging Rams can't get complacent Jan 21
- Broken finger likely to sideline VCU's Burgess 'a few weeks' Jan 11
- Western Michigan defeats Rochester (Mich) 85-73 Nov 23
- Wade to begin VCU's post-Shaka era with modified 'Havoc' Nov 10