Evans leads Kent State over Youngstown State 70-61Nov 19, 2009 - 4:55 AM YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio(AP) -- Tyree Evans scored 18 points to lead four players in double figures as Kent State defeated Youngstown State 70-61 on Wednesday night.
A pair of 3-pointers by Evans helped the Golden Flashes (3-1) go on a 13-0 run that turned a tie at 40 with 11:15 left in the game into a 53-40 lead with 7:40 remaining.
Justin Greene added 17 points, Rodriguez Sherman 15 and Anthony Simpson 12 for Kent State, and Sherman helped put the finishing touches on the win with a steal and breakaway dunk in the final 30 seconds.
Sirlester Martin and Vytas Sulskis scored 15 points apiece and DeAndre Mays added 14 for the Penguins (1-1).
Kent State senior guard Chris Singletary sat out the game with a knee injury and is expected to miss the next few games after having surgery Friday on his meniscus.
- NCAA BB
KENT ST 70
YOUNGSTOWN ST 61 FINAL
Nov 18 9:54 PM
- NCAA BB
KENT ST 30
YOUNGSTOWN ST 24 HALFTIME
Nov 18 8:26 PM
- Youngstown State beats Robert Morris 65-58 Dec 2
- Youngstown St. tops N. Dakota 79-69 for Slocum's 700th win Nov 23
- Oubre shines as Kansas tops Kent St. Dec 30
- Kent State tangles with No. 13 Kansas Dec 30
- Kent State visits West Virginia in early morning clash Nov 15
- Akron wins MAC crown over Kent State in OT Mar 12
- Geno Ford gets 2-year extension at Kent State Apr 2
- Big run leads Illinois past Kent State in NIT Mar 22
- Sherman's layup leads Kent State past Tulsa in NIT Mar 17
- Ernie Kent is out as Oregon basketball coach Mar 17
- Kent declines comment on report he's been fired Mar 7
- Kent State tops Akron 74-61 Mar 5