Saint Louis beats Nebraska 69-55Nov 19, 2009 - 3:26 AM By R.B. FALLSTROM AP Sports Writer
ST. LOUIS(AP) -- Kwamain Mitchell scored 20 points and Saint Louis hit three of its seven 3-pointers in succession to help pull away from Nebraska in a 69-55 victory on Wednesday night.
Christian Salecich added 11 points and had three 3-pointers, two in an 11-0 run that put Saint Louis (2-0) ahead 44-31 with just over 14 minutes remaining. Nebraska twice cut the deficit to eight but shot only 33 percent in the second half and 40 percent overall.
Mitchell, part of a lineup featuring one freshman and four sophomores, was 7-for-10 from the field and 2-for-3 from 3-point range.
Sek Henry had 14 points and Ryan Anderson added 10 for Nebraska (1-1), which has lost 13 of its last 14 road openers. Lance Jeter, who had 17 points in the Huskers' 76-49 opening victory over South Carolina Upstate, was held to seven.
Nebraska center Jorge Brian Diaz broke a tooth when he was elbowed in the mouth with 18 minutes 36 seconds to go in the first half and didn't return.
Saint Louis survived a prolonged drought at the end of the first half, scoring only two points on 1-for-12 shooting in the final 7:34 and settling for a 28-27 lead. Nebraska failed to capitalize, scoring only seven points during that stretch.
Nebraska led only once, on Anderson's layup to open the second half for a 29-28 lead.
Both teams stumbled at the end of the half with Nebraska whistled for a shot-clock violation and Saint Louis working the ball for the final 30 seconds without getting off a shot.
- NCAA BB
SAINT LOUIS 69 FINAL
Nov 18 10:12 PM
- NCAA BB
SAINT LOUIS 28 HALFTIME
Nov 18 8:55 PM
- Miami transfer, coveted 6-11 center sign with Cornhuskers May 17
- Butler assistant Michael Lewis joining Miles' Nebraska staff May 3
- Huskers' Andrew White declaring for draft but could return Apr 21
- Nebraska assistant resigning to take same job at Boise St. Apr 12
- Nebraska, Kansas agree to meet in basketball next 2 seasons Mar 1
- Huskers' Shields hits head, will follow concussion protocol Feb 6
- Undersized, young Huskers will count on celebrated recruits Oct 27
- Nebraska at a glance Oct 27
- Nebraska's Petteway declares for NBA Draft Apr 16
- Trimble, Wells help No. 10 Maryland beat Nebraska Mar 8
- Nebraska plays host to No. 10 Maryland Mar 8
- Trimble helps Maryland beat Nebraska Feb 19