Wake Forest overcomes High Point 83-60Nov 19, 2009 - 3:18 AM By AARON BEARD AP Basketball Writer
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C.(AP) -- Al-Farouq Aminu had 22 points and 10 rebounds to help Wake Forest pull away early in the second half and beat High Point 83-60 on Wednesday night.
Ishmael Smith added 13 points for the Demon Deacons (3-0), who trailed almost the entire first half before finally pushing ahead by three at the break. But Wake Forest scored the first seven points after halftime to finally get some separation from the pesky Panthers (1-1), then steadily increased the margin down the stretch.
That's not to say it was all easy for Wake Forest, which was facing a team picked to finish sixth in the Big South Conference. In fact, High Point led by nine points midway through the first half while Wake Forest didn't take its first lead until just 2 minutes remained before halftime.
Nick Barbour scored 15 points to lead High Point.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
HIGH POINT 39 21 60
WAKE FOREST 42 41 83 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: HIGH POINT - NICK BARBOUR 15, EUGENE HARRIS 13,
EARNEST BRIDGES 8
WAKE FOREST - AL-FAROUQ AMINU 22, ISHMAEL SMITH 13,
C.J. HARRIS 12
Nov 18 10:01 PM
- NCAA BB
HIGH POINT 39
WAKE FOREST 42 HALFTIME
Nov 18 8:53 PM
- Wake Forest adds 2nd grad transfer, Matt Williams from UCF Apr 27
- Wake adds grad transfer Austin Arians from Milwaukee Apr 20
- Manning: 2 Wake Forest men's basketball players to transfer Mar 15
- After another losing season, Wake turns focus to future Mar 9
- Wake Forest suspends Thomas, dismisses Hudson from hoop team Feb 19
- 'It just hurts': Frustrated Wake Forest hopes for turnaround Jan 27
- Wilbekin, Crawford taking on bigger role at Wake Forest Nov 4
- Wake Forest suspends Hudson, Watson from hoop team Oct 31
- Wake expects improvement in Manning's second season Oct 26
- Wake Forest Preview Capsule Oct 26
- Wake Forest G Miller-McIntyre out 4-6 weeks with broken foot Oct 19
- No. 3 Duke routs Wake Forest Mar 4