UNLV rallies in 2nd half, defeats Nevada 88-75Nov 19, 2009 - 5:46 AM LAS VEGAS(AP) -- UNLVs Oscar Bellfield had a game-high 22 points Wednesday night and the Rebels overcame a double-digit second-half deficit in a 88-75 victory over Nevada.
The Rebels (2-0) trailed 54-42 with 14 minutes to play, but scored 11 unanswered points as part of a 23-4 outburst to take a 65-58 lead with 8:12 left.
Freshman Justin Hawkins finished with 13 points, including a driving layup with 9:56 remaining to give the Rebels the lead for good in their fourth straight win over the Wolf Pack (1-1).
Nevada built a 10-point lead in the first half. But after going ahead by 12 in the second half, the Wolf Pack scored just 11 points in the next 10 minutes to fall behind 75-65 with 4 minutes to play.
Brandon Fields scored 22 points to lead Nevada. Armon Johnson had 16 points and Luke Babbitt had 14 and a game-high 10 rebounds.
- Menzies adds 3 more to UNLV recruiting class May 19
- UNLV's Menzies fills out staff with 3 hires May 5
- AP Source: Former UNLV coach Dave Rice hired at Nevada Apr 25
- UNLV approves $3.75 million contract for Marvin Menzies Apr 22
- UNLV hires Menzies as basketball coach after Beard bolts Apr 17
- Nevada defends hire of Cal assistant accused of harassment Apr 15
- Nevada hires former Cal assistant Yann Hufnagel Apr 9
- UNLV introduces Chris Beard as Runnin' Rebels coach Apr 8
- UNLV hires Little Rock's Chris Beard as next coach Mar 28
- UNLV freshman Jones Jr. ineligible for rest of the season Mar 2
- UNLV loses freshman center Zimmerman to sprained left knee Feb 8
- UNLV dismisses guard Daquan Cook from team Feb 5