Middle Tennessee holds off Lamar 74-66Nov 20, 2009 - 3:44 AM MURFREESBORO, Tenn.(AP) -- James Washington scored 19 points and had six assists to lead Middle Tennessee to a 74-66 victory over Lamar on Thursday night.
Washington made four of his 11 free throws in the final 29 seconds as the Blue Raiders (2-2) held off a late charge after leading by as many as 14 points in the second half.
Lamar's Lawrence Nwevo hit a free throw to cut the lead to 68-63 with 33 seconds left before Washington hit two to increase the advantage to 70-63 with 16 seconds left. Washington hit two more with 7 seconds left.
After falling behind by eight early, Middle Tennessee took a 16-14 lead on Monatarrio Haddock's 3-pointer with 11:24 remaining in the first half.
Haddock finished with 17 points and Theryn Hudson added 10 for the Blue Raiders.
Anthony Miles led Lamar (2-1) with 19 points and Charlie Harper had 17 points and 15 rebounds. Kendrick Harris added 14 points.
- Middle Tennessee State sets sights on upset of Syracuse Mar 19
- Michigan State promises it won't overlook MTSU Mar 17
- Potts out indefinitely with concussion for Middle Tennessee Feb 26
- UAB buries Middle Tennessee to claim C-USA crown Mar 14
- Blue Raiders, Blazers collide in C-USA title match Mar 14
- No. 20 Iowa State pulls away to rout Lamar Dec 2
- Cyclones seek redemption in clash with Cardinals Dec 2
- Bluejays and Blue Raiders meet in Emerald Coast Classic Nov 29
- No. 22 SMU routs Lamar in opener Nov 15
- 22nd-ranked Mustangs begin season against Cardinals Nov 14
- Lamar axes Pat Knight Feb 16
- No. 16 Florida races past Middle Tennessee Nov 22