Mintz helps Lafayette defeat St. Francis 88-77Nov 20, 2009 - 2:41 AM LORETTO, Pa.(AP) -- Jared Mintz scored 24 points on nearly-perfect shooting to lead Lafayette to an 88-77 win over St. Francis (Pa.) on Thursday night.
After Mintz missed the second of two foul shots with 18:52 left in the first half, he didn't miss again. Mintz finished 9-for-9 from the field and 6-for-7 from the free throw line.
The Leopards (2-1) shot 66 percent as a team (31-for-47) while the Red Flash (1-2) shot 59.6 percent (28-for-47) in the first meeting between the teams.
Devin Sweeney led St. Francis with 30 points on 10-for-14 shooting. Cedric Latimer added 23 on 9-for-11 shooting.
St. Francis took a 10-3 lead, but Lafayette tied the score at 19 and used a 9-2 run to lead 28-21 with 7:31 left in the first half. The Leopards led 42-33 at the half, then extended the margin to 14 with 14:44 left.
The Red Flash pulled within 70-65 with 5:27 left, but could get no closer.
- Villanova trounces Lafayette in NCAA opener Mar 20
- Lafayette challenges No. 1 seed Villanova Mar 19
- Lafayette gets past American for Patriot League title Mar 11
- American and Lafayette meet for Patriot League title Mar 11
- No. 10 Kansas dominates Lafayette Dec 20
- Lafayette comes calling on No. 10 Kansas Dec 20
- Texas breezes past St. Francis Nov 26
- Longhorns put perfect mark on line versus Red Flash Nov 25
- Bucknell bests Lafayette for Patriot crown Mar 13
- Bison, Leopards meet in Patriot League title game Mar 13
- Gophers overwhelm Lafayette for eighth straight win Dec 22
- Leopards hope to claw way past 13th-ranked Golden Gophers Dec 22