South Carolina defeats La Salle 78-68Nov 20, 2009 - 4:54 AM CHARLESTON, S.C.(AP) -- Dominique Archie scored 17 points to lead a balanced scoring effort for South Carolina as the Gamecocks cruised past La Salle 78-68 in the first round of the Charleston Classic on Thursday night.
Leading by two at the half, South Carolina (3-0) started the second half with a 13-4 run and built a 17-point lead with 11:50 to play.
La Salle (1-0) never made a serious run, and the Gamecocks coasted home for the victory.
The Gamecocks had four players finish in double figures, including Brandis Raley-Ross with 16, Mike Holmes with 15 and Devan Downey with 10.
Rodney Green led La Salle with 23 points.
South Carolina led 38-36 at the half, thanks to a 9-2 run over the final 3:45.
The Explorers shot 51.9 percent from the field in the first half and dominated play until the Gamecocks' late run.
- South Carolina forward Raymond Doby leaving the program May 18
- South Carolina dismisses suspended players Gregory, Cobb Apr 4
- Gamecocks give men's coach Frank Martin 4-year extension Apr 1
- South Carolina got told it was in - except, it wasn't Mar 31
- Offseason questions loom for Frank Martin, South Carolina Mar 23
- 2 South Carolina players arrested over BB gun shooting Mar 17
- 5 South Carolina players suspended before NIT game Mar 15
- South Carolina moving on from NCAA snub Mar 14
- South Carolina looking to take next step at SEC Tournament Mar 8
- Big Week: South Carolina could move to top of SEC standings Feb 9
- No. 25 South Carolina looks for win at No. 8 Texas A&M Feb 5
- South Carolina looks to rebound at home after tough stretch Jan 25