Columbia defeats Longwood 72-61Nov 21, 2009 - 2:10 AM NEW YORK(AP) -- Noruwa Agho scored 24 points to lead Columbia to a 72-61 win over Longwood on Friday night.
Agho shot 7-for-10, including 4-for-4 from 3-point range, for the Lions (1-1). Brian Grimes added 14 points and 13 rebounds for Columbia.
The Lions used a 14-4 run in the first half to take a 34-15 lead with 3:44 remaining after a layup from Mark Cisco. Columbia would hold a 43-24 lead at halftime.
But a free throw from Longwood's Antwan Carter capped an 11-4 run in the second half to cut the Lions' lead to 67-58 with 4:01 left in the game. However, the Lancers would get no closer than eight points, as they failed to score in the final 2 minutes.
The Lancers (0-4) were paced by Dana Smith, who finished with 22 points and six rebounds. Carter chipped in with 12 points and six rebounds.
- NCAA BB
COLUMBIA 72 FINAL
Nov 20 8:48 PM
- NCAA BB
COLUMBIA 43 HALFTIME
Nov 20 7:44 PM
- Columbia hires Jim Engles as new basketball coach Apr 5
- Lo's 8 3s lead Columbia to 78-71 win over Robert Morris Dec 14
- No. 1 Kentucky rallies to beat Columbia Dec 10
- No. 1 Kentucky plays host to Columbia Dec 10
- No. 2 Michigan State holds off Columbia Nov 15
- Lions hit road seeking upset of second-ranked Spartans Nov 15
- Gillian resigns as Longwood men's hoops coach Mar 14
- Porter, Georgetown rout Longwood Dec 10
- Georgetown plays host to Longwood Dec 10
- No. 14 Creighton soars past Longwood Nov 21
- Longwood faces long odds in clash with No. 14 Creighton Nov 20
- Defending champion UConn opens season with win Nov 12