NC State defeats Akron 66-45Nov 20, 2009 - 10:42 PM DAYTONA BEACH, Fla.(AP) -- Tracy Smith had 16 points and 11 rebounds as North Carolina State beat Akron 66-45 at the Glenn Wilkes Classic on Friday.
Dennis Horner also scored 16 points for the Wolfpack (2-0), who took control early and built a 43-21 halftime lead.
The Zips (0-2) got 10 points from Anthony Hitchens.
Horner had five points, including a 3, and C.J. Williams hit a pair of jumpers as N.C. State jumped out to a 17-4 lead 6 minutes into the game.
Smith had consecutive baskets to extend the Wolfpack advantage to 23-7 in the first half. Horner's second 3 of the game made it 31-12 with 7 minutes left in the half.
Smith closed out his 14-point first half on a 3-point play with 25 seconds remaining. Horner had 10 during the opening 20 minutes.
N.C. State improved to 15-2 in November over the last four seasons under coach Sidney Lowe. The Wolfpack plays Austin Peay on Saturday.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
AKRON 21 24 45
NORTH CAROLINA STATE 43 23 66 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: AKRON - ANTHONY (HUMPTY) HITCHENS 10, NIKOLA
CVETINOVIC 8, DARRYL ROBERTS 8
NORTH CAROLINA STATE - DENNIS HORNER 16, TRACY SMITH 16,
JAVIER GONZALEZ 11
Nov 20 5:25 PM
- NCAA BB
NC STATE 43 HALFTIME
Nov 20 4:18 PM
- NC State's Anya opts out of draft, returns for senior season May 20
- NC State forward Abdul-Malik Abu pulls out of NBA Draft May 19
- NC State adds 7-foot Turkish center Omer Yurtseven May 16
- NC State's 1983 NCAA championship team to visit White House Apr 28
- Twins Caleb and Cody Martin transferring from NC State Mar 24
- NC State junior Anthony 'Cat' Barber to remain in NBA draft Mar 22
- Gottfried, Wolfpack focused on returning to NCAAs next year Mar 15
- NC State assistant Moxley moving to support role after year Mar 6
- NC State's Barber carries heavy load for struggling Wolfpack Mar 4
- Wolfpack's Henderson still working back from ankle injury Feb 5
- NC State keeping eye on 'Cat' Barber's injured knee Jan 25
- Highly recruited Smith assisting NC State from sideline Jan 22