Sloan's 22 lead Texas A&M past Samford 68-49Nov 21, 2009 - 3:05 AM COLLEGE STATION, Texas(AP) -- Guard Donald Sloan scored a game-high 22 points as Texas A&M pulled away from Samford in the second half to win 68-49 Friday night.
Guard Derrick Roland followed Sloan with 14 points.
The Aggies (3-0), who led by only a point at halftime 36-35, busted the game open midway through the second half on the strength of 3-pointers by B.J. Holmes, Sloan and Nathan Walkup in a span of 2 minutes 33 seconds. The last one lifted A&M to a 56-44 lead.
Sloan, a senior, finished 7 of 11 from the field, including 5 of 6 from 3-point range. The Aggies shot 50 percent from the field in both halves (12 of 24 and 11 of 22).
Andy King led Samford (0-4) with 17 points.
The teams hadn't played since 1977, a 106-91 A&M victory in Birmingham, Ala.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
SAMFORD 35 14 49
TEXAS A&M 36 32 68 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: SAMFORD - ANDY KING 17, TREY MONTGOMERY 8,
JOSH DAVIS 7
TEXAS A&M - DONALD SLOAN 22, DERRICK ROLAND 14,
DASH HARRIS 11
Nov 20 9:48 PM
- NCAA BB
TEXAS A&M 34 HALFTIME
Nov 20 8:45 PM
- No chance for a wild comeback for Aggies in 77-63 loss to OU Mar 25
- Hield, Sooners face former Big 12 foes Aggies in Sweet 16 Mar 24
- House leading the party at Texas A&M into Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Texas A&M downs N Iowa with historic last-minute comeback Mar 21
- Experienced Panthers eager to carry momentum forward Mar 19
- Texas A&M aims for respect in first NCAA tourney since 2011 Mar 17
- Texas A&M announces new 5-year deal for coach Billy Kennedy Mar 12
- Texas A&M rolling toward NCAA tourney after 4-year absence Jan 20
- Washington's Scott Woodward named AD at Texas A&M Jan 8
- Texas A&M athletic director Hyman steps down after 4 years Jan 5
- Podkowa helps No. 18 DePaul women top No. 15 Texas A&M 80-66 Dec 12
- No. 18 Texas A&M loses 67-54 to Arizona State Dec 6