Machado helps Iona hold off Norfolk State 80-68Nov 21, 2009 - 11:42 PM NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y.(AP) -- Scott Machado scored 20 points, including 11 in the final 5:49, as Iona remained undefeated with an 80-68 victory over Norfolk State on Saturday.
Six of Machado's final 11 came from the free-throw line, where the Gaels (3-0) were 23-for-37 to the Spartans' (1-2) 13-for-28.
Kyle Smith added 14 points for Iona, which also got 13 from Mike McFadden and 10 from Keon Williams.
Rob Hampton and Michael DeLoach scored 15 points apiece to pace Norfolk State, and Aleek Pauline and Joe Dorsett-Jeffreys scored 13 each.
Iona led by as many as 14 points, 18-4, with 11:44 remaining in the first half. Norfolk State turned the ball over six times in that stretch. But the Spartans fought back to within 36-32 at halftime.
- Morris and Iowa State race past Iona 94-81 Mar 17
- Iona spoiled Monmouth bench mob party Mar 16
- Iona's suspends Washington 2 games for slap Jan 17
- Sophomore Much receives NCAA waiver, can play right away Nov 15
- Iona gives hoops coach Cluess extension Mar 26
- Manhattan pulls away late, bests Iona for MAAC title Mar 9
- Manhattan takes on Iona in MAAC title tilt Mar 9
- O'Neale's hot shooting powers Baylor past Norfolk St. Dec 30
- Norfolk State hits road to test No, 22 Baylor Dec 30
- Arkansas 6-0 after win over Iona Nov 30
- Gaels and Hogs mix it up to close holiday weekend Nov 30
- No. 9 Virginia cruises past Norfolk State Nov 17