Quinnipiac beats Yale 71-64Nov 22, 2009 - 2:38 AM NEW HAVEN, Conn.(AP) -- Justin Rutty had a double-double and Quinnipiac held off Yale 71-64 on Saturday night.
Rutty had 23 points and 14 rebounds for the Bobcats (2-1). James Feldeine added 14 points and James Johnson had 13 points.
The Bobcats shot only 39.1 percent from the field (25-for-64), but held a 53-30 rebounding edge. The Bobcats got 24 offensive rebounds that led to 32 second-chance points. Jamee Jackson added 10 rebounds for the Bobcats.
The Bulldogs' only lead was 2-0 as Quinnipiac built a seven-point halftime lead and held its largest advantage at 53-36 with 9:47 remaining in the game.
Alex Zampier led the Bulldogs (1-3) with a game-high 29 points. Zampier has connected on all 18 of his free throw attempts this season. Michael Sands added 10 points for the Bulldogs.
Yale played solid defense, forcing 20 turnovers.
- Defending champ Duke, upstart Yale ready for 2nd round clash Mar 18
- From controversy to NCAA upset artist, Yale eyeing more Mar 18
- Yale blocks out captain's dismissal heading to NCAA tourney Mar 16
- Former Yale captain says he'll sue school over expulsion Mar 14
- Yale, without captain, celebrates first bid in 54 years Mar 13
- Yale team navigates campus anger amid NCAA Tournament bid Mar 10
- Yale captain Montague won't return to Ivy league leaders Feb 24
- Harvard edges Yale in thriller for Ivy League title Mar 15
- Murray State beats Yale for CIT title Apr 3
- Racers host Bulldogs for CIT crown Apr 3
- Iona-Quinnipiac hoops game postponed Jan 2
- Napier's triple-double leads UConn past Yale Nov 11