Marquette beats Grambling State 87-41Nov 22, 2009 - 3:58 AM MILWAUKEE - Jimmy Butler had 15 points and Marquette scored 19 straight points in the first half in an 87-41 victory over Grambling State on Saturday night.
Lazar Hayward added 12 points, five rebounds and four assists for the Golden Eagles (3-0).
Dwight Buycks chipped in with 10 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists for Marquette, which led at halftime, 36-15.
Grambling State (1-2) got 20 points and eight rebounds from Ariece Perkins, but he also had seven of his team's 22 turnovers.
Torez Young added 10 points for the Tigers, but only three other players scored.
Marquette shot 50% (30-60) in the game compared to 29.2% (14-48) for Grambling State.
Marquette made sure it won its 24th straight non-conference game by outscoring Grambling State, 15-2, to start the second half.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
GRAMBLING STATE 15 26 41
MARQUETTE 36 51 87 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: GRAMBLING STATE - ARIECE PERKINS 20, TOREZ YOUNG 10, TWO
PLAYERS WITH 4
MARQUETTE - JIMMY BUTLER 15, DARIUS JOHNSON-ODOM 13,
LAZAR HAYWARD 12
Nov 21 10:42 PM
- Marquette guard Wally Ellenson leaving basketball team Apr 21
- Marquette freshman Henry Ellenson declares for NBA draft Apr 5
- Marquette's Ellenson day to day with sprained left ankle Mar 2
- Marquette, freshman star Henry Ellenson, wrap up at home Feb 29
- Led by freshman Ellenson, young Marquette seeks Feb. push Feb 10
- Snow sacks Marquette-St. John's basketball game Jan 23
- After road upset, young Marquette looks to improve at home Jan 8
- Wojciechowski gets 2-year extension at Marquette to 2022 Dec 29
- Fresh faces get in on Marquette-Wisconsin rivalry Dec 11
- Wojo readies Ellenson, touted Marquette freshmen for opener Nov 11
- Oh Henry: Ellenson highlights Marquette's big freshman class Nov 3
- Talented freshmen infused into preseason mix at Marquette Oct 12