New Mexico tops Louisiana Tech 81-52Nov 22, 2009 - 5:48 AM ALBUQUERQUE, N.M.(AP) -- Junior-college transfer Darington Hobson scored a career-high 30 points Saturday to lead New Mexico to an 81-52 victory over Louisiana Tech in the Basketball Travelers World Vision Classic.
The Lobos (4-0) pulled away toward the end of the first half as Hobson scored the final seven points to give UNM a 33-28 lead at halftime. New Mexico opened the second half with a 7-2 run to push the lead into double figures.
Hobson added 10 rebounds for a double-double, while Phillip McDonald contributed 16 points and Nate Garth had 11 for the Lobos.
New Mexico played stingy defense, limiting the Bulldogs to 19-of-64 shooting from the field and 5 of 27 3-pointers. The Lobos also dominated on the board with a 49-33 rebound advantage as A.J. Hardeman pulled down a career-best 11 for UNM.
Jamel Guyton and Kyle Gibson each scored 11 points to lead Louisiana Tech (2-1).
- Correction: New Mexico-San Jose St story Jan 25
- UNM investigating purchasing activity on staffer's card Dec 22
- Lobos forward's career over because of spinal condition Nov 19
- New Mexico knocks off unbeaten CSU Jan 4
- Rams and Lobos mix it up in Mountain West melee Jan 3
- New Mexico's Neal to receive two-year extension Mar 31
- Stanford holds off New Mexico Mar 21
- Cardinal clash with Lobos in South Regional affair Mar 21
- New Mexico clips San Diego State to win MWC title Mar 15
- Tulsa edges Louisiana Tech to win C-USA title Mar 15
- MWC championship game pits Lobos against Aztecs Mar 15
- Tulsa takes on Louisiana Tech for C-USA Tournament title Mar 15