Balanced scoring leads Akron past Howard 69-52Nov 22, 2009 - 6:16 PM DAYTONA BEACH, Fla.(AP) -- Nikola Cvetinovic and Chris McKnight scored 13 points apiece to lead a balanced attack in Akron's 69-52 victory over Howard on Sunday.
Anthony Hitchens and Brett McClanahan each added 10 points for the Zips (2-2), who led by as many as 29 before resting most of their starters at the Glenn Wilkes Classic.
Calvin Thompson scored 13 points to lead Howard (0-5). The Bison were coming off a 33-point effort Saturday against Georgia State and went more than eight minutes without a basket during the first half Sunday.
Howard rallied to get within 33-21 at halftime, but the Zips took control with a 17-4 run to open the second half that included two 3-pointers by McClanahan and one by Steve McNees.
Akron missed its first five 3-pointers of the game, but then hit seven of its next 11.
- Niang paces Cyclones over Zips Dec 23
- Iowa State and Akron meet in Diamond Head Classic Dec 23
- Daniels, Reddic lead Rams in rout of Zips Mar 22
- Akron takes on VCU in second round of NCAA Tournament Mar 20
- Akron routs Ohio for MAC title Mar 17
- Ohio battles Akron for MAC Tournament title Mar 16
- McDermott powers No. 16 Creighton past Akron Dec 9
- No. 16 Bluejays play host to Zips Dec 9
- Ohio edges Akron to take MAC title Mar 11
- MAC title on the line as Bobcats battle Zips Mar 10
- No. 17 Kansas downs Howard Dec 30
- Kansas welcomes Howard to Lawrence Dec 29