Central Florida defeats Drake 59-50Nov 22, 2009 - 10:48 PM DAYTONA BEACH, Fla.(AP) -- A.J. Rompza hit two difficult shots down the stretch and Central Florida held Drake scoreless over the final 6 minutes for a 59-50 victory on Sunday.
Isaac Sosa led the Knights (4-1) with 15 points, all on 3-point field goals, and P.J. Gaynor added 11 points in only 17 minutes.
But it was Rompza, a 5-foot-9 sophomore guard not known for his scoring, and freshman Dave Diakate who stood out with the game on the line in the Glenn Wilkes Classic.
Rompza made a shot high off the glass to put UCF up 53-50 with 4:57 remaining, and followed that up with a scoop shot under a taller defender. Diakate, who finished with 10 points and eight rebounds, sealed the win with a dunk off a steal.
Adam Templeton had 15 points for Drake (1-4).
The Bulldogs led just once after halftime, when two free throws by Ben Simons gave them a 46-44 advantage with 10:20 to go.
- UCF introduces Johnny Dawkins as new men's basketball coach Mar 24
- UCF hires Johnny Dawkins as next men's basketball coach Mar 23
- UCF fires coach Donnie Jones following loss in AAC tourney Mar 11
- UCF's Taylor to miss remainder of season with leg injury Dec 23
- NCAA clears UCF 7-foot-6 recruit Tacko Fall to play Nov 13
- UCF files for academic waiver for 7-6 recruit Tacko Fall Nov 12
- Eligibility of 7-foot-6 UCF recruit in doubt as season nears Nov 10
- Drake hoping to turn corner in 2015-16 Oct 5
- Northern Iowa easily handles Drake Feb 7
- Bulldogs hit road to challenge 14th-ranked Panthers Feb 7
- No. 14 Wichita State routs Drake Jan 25
- Drake seeks upset of No. 14 Wichita State Jan 25