Vermont holds off Rutgers 77-71Nov 23, 2009 - 12:17 AM PISCATAWAY, N.J.(AP) -- Evan Fjeld had 19 points as Vermont beat Rutgers 77-71 in the Legends Classic on Sunday.
Despite sitting out more than 15 minutes due to illness, Marqus Blakely had 17 points, nine rebounds, five blocks, four steals and two assists for the Catamounts (2-1). Maurice Joseph added 17 points.
Mike Rosario had 22 points for the Scarlet Knights (2-1), while Jonathan Mitchell added 15 and Mike Coburn 13.
Rutgers led by as many as seven twice in the second half and Vermont rallied for two five-point leads before the game was tied at 64 and again at 70.
Blakely then made one of two free throws to give Vermont the lead for good with 34.8 seconds left.
Rutgers' Hamady Ndiaye rebounded Blake's miss, but had the ball stolen by Garvey Young. After a time out, Rutgers turned it over again with 14.8 seconds left and Joseph and Blakely each made two foul shots to seal it.
- NCAA BB
RUTGERS 71 FINAL
Nov 22 6:02 PM
- NCAA BB
RUTGERS 38 HALFTIME
Nov 22 4:49 PM
- Rutgers raises $50 million in 4 months for athletics May 10
- Brandin Knight joins Rutgers basketball coaching staff Apr 18
- Rutgers confirms that Hobbs has joined Pikiell's staff Apr 14
- Jay Young hired as assistant basketball coach at Rutgers Apr 11
- Karl Hobbs leaves UConn to join Pikiell's staff at Rutgers Mar 31
- Stony Brook's Steve Pikiell is new Rutgers basketball coach Mar 22
- AP source: Stony Brook's Steve Pikiell is new Rutgers coach Mar 19
- Jordan fired as Rutgers basketball coach Mar 10
- Rutgers on verge of winless Big 10 Conference season Mar 3
- Rutgers suspends freshman Corey Sanders Feb 15
- Vermont basketball player suspended for reselling textbooks Dec 24
- Rutgers faces another tough season in Big Ten Conference Oct 27