New Mexico defeats Miami of Ohio, 85-60Nov 23, 2009 - 3:11 AM ALBUQUERQUE, N.M.(AP) -- Roman Martinez scored 15 points Sunday and set the tone for his New Mexico teammates with all-out hustle, leading the Lobos to an 85-60 victory over Miami of Ohio in the finale of the Basketball Travelers World Vision Classic.
New Mexico (5-0) used a suffocating defensive effort to stymie the RedHawks (1-4), who shot just 40.4 percent from the field.
Miami of Ohio went through two first-half scoreless stretches of nearly four minutes each as the Lobos built up a 45-21 lead at halftime.
Martinez drew a smile and a thumbs-up from New Mexico coach Steve Alford after his failed, skidding, head-first dive for a loose ball in the second half when the Lobos already owned a 21-point lead.
Martinez had scoring assistance from Chad Adams, who had a career-high 13 points. Nick Winbush led the RedHawks with 25 points.
- Correction: New Mexico-San Jose St story Jan 25
- UNM investigating purchasing activity on staffer's card Dec 22
- Lobos forward's career over because of spinal condition Nov 19
- New Mexico knocks off unbeaten CSU Jan 4
- Rams and Lobos mix it up in Mountain West melee Jan 3
- No. 21 Buckeyes overwhelm RedHawks Dec 22
- Buckeyes seek turnaround in clash with RedHawks Dec 22
- New Mexico's Neal to receive two-year extension Mar 31
- Stanford holds off New Mexico Mar 21
- Cardinal clash with Lobos in South Regional affair Mar 21
- New Mexico clips San Diego State to win MWC title Mar 15
- MWC championship game pits Lobos against Aztecs Mar 15