NC State edges Auburn 60-58Nov 23, 2009 - 3:41 AM DAYTONA BEACH, Fla.(AP) -- Tracy Smith's basket with 1.3 seconds remaining lifted North Carolina State to a 60-58 victory over Auburn on Sunday night.
The Wolfpack (4-0), the only team to go unbeaten in the Glenn Wilkes Classic, struggled on offense for most of the game. Smith, their top returning scorer from last season, had an especially tough game, missing 14 of his first 16 field-goal attempts.
But the 6-foot-8 junior delivered in the final minute, first with a three-point play and then on the game-winning basket. Smith grabbed a loose ball after Julius Mays missed a 3-pointer and scored.
Smith finished with 11 points and 15 rebounds and was selected tournament MVP.
Frankie Sullivan led Auburn (2-3) with 21 points.
Dennis Horner topped N.C. State with 16 points. Scott Wood and Javier Gonzalez added 10 points each, and Gonzalez had six assists.
- NCAA BB
NC STATE 60
AUBURN 58 FINAL
Nov 22 10:06 PM
- NCAA BB
HALFTIME 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
NORTH CAROLINA STATE 26 26
AUBURN 25 25 HALFTIME
HIGH SCORERS AT HALFTIME
NORTH CAROLINA STATE - DENNIS HORNER 9, TRACY SMITH 6,
SCOTT WOOD 5
AUBURN - FRANKIE SULLIVAN 11, LUCAS HARGROVE 4,
ANDRE MALONE 3
Nov 22 8:56 PM
- NC State's Anya opts out of draft, returns for senior season May 20
- NC State forward Abdul-Malik Abu pulls out of NBA Draft May 19
- NC State adds 7-foot Turkish center Omer Yurtseven May 16
- Auburn players Shamsid-Deen, Reed won't return next season May 6
- NC State's 1983 NCAA championship team to visit White House Apr 28
- Twins Caleb and Cody Martin transferring from NC State Mar 24
- NC State junior Anthony 'Cat' Barber to remain in NBA draft Mar 22
- Gottfried, Wolfpack focused on returning to NCAAs next year Mar 15
- NC State assistant Moxley moving to support role after year Mar 6
- NC State's Barber carries heavy load for struggling Wolfpack Mar 4
- Pearl: Auburn's Kareem Canty leaves team, school to turn pro Feb 12
- Auburn will be without leading scorer against Tennessee Feb 8