Virginia Commonwealth beats Hampton 63-52Nov 24, 2009 - 3:55 AM HAMPTON, Va.(AP) -- Bradford Burgess scored 18 points and grabbed 10 rebounds to lead Virginia Commonwealth past Hampton 63-52 on Monday night.
The Rams (3-1) led 28-19 at halftime before the Pirates (0-3) pulled within 29-25 on a layup by Mike Tuitt with 19:34 left to play.
Virginia Commonwealth then went on a 12-2 run to take a 41-27 lead with 13:20 left to play.
Larry Sanders gave the Rams their biggest lead of the game by 14 points, 41-27, on a layup with 13:21 to go.
Virginia Commonwealth, which shot 29.6 percent in the first half (8 of 27), made 42.9 percent in the second (12 of 18).
Sanders finished with 11 points and Joey Rodriguez added 10 for the Rams. T.J. Gwynn tallied 11 rebounds for the Rams, who outrebounded Hampton 45-40.
The Pirates were led by Michael Freeman with 13 points and Vincent Simpson with 10.
- NCAA BB
VA COMMONWEALTH 63
HAMPTON 52 FINAL
Nov 23 9:07 PM
- NCAA BB
VA COMMONWEALTH 28
HAMPTON 19 HALFTIME
Nov 23 8:00 PM
- Things looking more normal for Wade in Year 2 at VCU May 13
- VCU announces sophomore F Michael Gilmore is transferring May 3
- VCU restructures, extends contract of men's hoops coach Wade Mar 29
- Oklahoma faces another dangerous double-digit seed in VCU Mar 19
- UVa routs Hampton 81-45 after Bennett collapses, returns Mar 17
- Payton II following in father's NCAA footsteps at Oregon St Mar 17
- No. 1 seed Virginia keeps focus on Hampton - not Spartans Mar 16
- VCU hoping to find winning formula again in NCAA Tournament Mar 16
- VCU seeking another shot at A10 Tournament championship Mar 9
- JeQuan Lewis' growth at PG a key to VCU's winning streak Feb 5
- VCU coach Will Wade says surging Rams can't get complacent Jan 21
- Broken finger likely to sideline VCU's Burgess 'a few weeks' Jan 11